General Information

Freshman Advising Information

All College of Engineering freshmen are advised in the Office of Student Development and Success (OSDS) until they successfully complete the freshman curriculum and are moved to their academic department. All freshman advisors are available to meet with students during office hours and by appointment. Students who need additional help during registration may schedule an appointment through Connect.

Prior to registration, students must complete the pre-registration advising process and develop a proposed class schedule (Plan of Study) for the upcoming semester based on the Academic Plan for the student's major. An advising (registration) hold is placed on every student until the advising process is successfully completed and approved by the student's academic advisor. 

Pre-registration advising information and University policies and procedures related to advising are communicated via 49er email only. Advising for spring semester course registration usually begins after fall break. Advising for summer and fall semester course registration usually begins after spring break. The freshman advising period is typically about three weeks. Students who do not complete the advising process by the deadline will not be able to meet with an advisor and register for classes until the beginning of the next semester. Students should check their 49er email for specific instructions and important deadlines.

Links for New Freshmen and Students Completing 1000-Level Courses

Links for Students Advised Within Their Academic Department

Following the freshman year, students are advised by the academic department of their major.

Summer Classes at Other Institutions - Transient Study

With approval, students may complete summer coursework at other two- and four-year institutions. More information on the steps the must be complete to gain approval and credit are here.

Forms and Resources

Students advised in OSDS use the Request for Repeat Override form to repeat a course in which they previously received a "D" grade.

The Office of the Registrar maintains most other forms for use by undergraduate students. Please visit their website at for the most current paper and electronic forms. These include:

Academic Petition
Disclosure of Directory Information
Name Change Form
Pass/No Credit Audit
Student Consent to Release Record
Transcript Request
Transient Study

Other Resources